A colorful take on salad
In this episode, we learn how to make Chef Ruthie’s bountiful salad along with homemade croutons and a balsamic vinegar and za’atar dressing.
- 5-6 slices of ciabatta bread, cut into large cubes
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1-13.75oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1-15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 peach, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeds and stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 avocados, skin and pit removed, cut into cubes
- 2-3 tbsp pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2-3 tbsp za’atar seasoning
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil or other salad oil
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the ingredients onto the baking sheet and toss them together. Toast the croutes in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they are golden.
Find the most massive bowl you can find to use for the salad. Combine all of the salad ingredients except the hemp hearts, avocado, and pumpkin seeds into the bowl and toss together. Set aside and make the dressing.
Add all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together until the vinegar emulsifies with the oil. Set aside.
To assemble the salad, scoop the salad mixture out onto a large serving platter. Top with the croutons, hemp hearts, avocado cubes, and pumpkin seeds. Drizzle the salad dressing over the top and serve.
For more recipes, visit blackfigfood.com!