By Chip Chandler — Producer
Here's a quick take on your 10 best entertainment bets in the next 10 days.
1. Knives Out
Sharpen your senses for this all-star comedic whodunnit from director Rian Johnson (Brick, Star Wars: The Last Jedi). Also in theaters:
- This week: A trio of raved-over movies — director Pedro Almodovar's Pain & Glory, Korean black comedy Parasite and romantic drama Queen & Slim;
- Dec. 6: legal drama Dark Waters and animated film Playmobil: The Movie;
- Special engagements: 30th anniversary screenings of romcom When Harry Met Sally on Dec. 1 and 3; faith-based film Love and Mercy: Faustina on Dec. 2 (encoring Dec. 10); Char's Counterattack, a 40th anniversary Gundam celebration, on Dec. 5; and an encore screening of Peter Jackson's World War I documentary They Shall Not Grow Old on Dec. 7 (plus Dec. 17 and 18);
- Other special events: a screening of The Polar Express at 6 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Mulkey Theatre, 110 S. Kearney St. in Clarendon; and a meet & greet with actor Tommy "Tiny" Lester of Friday at 2 p.m. Dec. 7 at Amarillo Premiere 6 Westgate Mall, 7701 W. Interstate 40.
2. Christmas Cash Barrel Racing
Watch top riders compete in the 15th annual running of this three-day competition, set for Nov. 29 to Dec. 1 in the Amarillo National Center on the Tri-State Fairgrounds, 3301 S.E. 10th Ave.
4. First Thursday Art + Music
Kick off December with the newest monthly display of artwork by Shanda O'Neill and tunes from Derek Porterfield & All of His Friends at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 at The 806 Coffee + Lounge, 2812 S.W. Sixth Ave. Other art shows of note: the opening of the I Am Route 66 Visitor Center & Gallery, 1900 S.W. Sixth Ave., at 10 a.m. Dec. 5, and a Yellow City Arts art show at 6 p.m. Dec. 6 at Chalice Abbey, 2717 Stanley St.
TheatreAC will stage this dark comedy about a mysterious encounter shared by five high school friends from Dec. 5 to 8 in the Amarillo College Experimental Theatre on the Washington Street campus. Also on stage: touring comedian Corey Evans' Black Friday Comedy Show, a Yellow City Comedy production, at 9 p.m. Nov. 29 at RR Bar, 701 S. Georgia St.; and Amarillo Little Theatre Academy's sold-out stagings of Frozen Jr. from Dec. 6 to 15.
6. Christmas Open House
7. Electric Light Parade
Amarillo's official holiday kick-off event will begin at 6 p.m. Dec. 6 at 11th Avenue and Polk Street and wind its way downtown to the Amarillo Civic Center Complex, 401 S. Buchanan St., featuring a March of the Toys-themed parade, food vendors, music and the lighting of the city Christmas tree. Other holiday events on tap will include:
- Final Friday Art Bazaar: 5:30 to 9 p.m. Nov. 29 at Gallery on 7th, 513 S.W. Seventh Ave.;
- Tangled Lights holiday display: 7 p.m. to midnight Nov. 28 to Jan. 6 at 11816 Flying W Trail;
- The Lights at Town Square: 5 to 9 p.m. Nov. 29 to Jan. 31 at Town Square Village, 9181 Town Square Blvd.;
- Breakfast with Santa: 9:30 a.m. Nov. 30 at Westgate Mall, 7701 W. Interstate 40;
- Christmas in the Gardens: 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays from Nov. 30 to Dec. 22 at Amarillo Botanical Gardens, 1400 Streit Drive;
- Poinsettia Luncheon and Style Show: 11 a.m. Dec. 3 at Amarillo Botanical Gardens, 1400 Streit Drive;
- Bishop Hills lights: 6:30 to midnight Dec. 6, continues nightly through Dec. 25. (806-418-4192)
- Brunch with Santa: 8:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays and Sundays from Dec. 7 to 22 at Starlight Canyon Bed and Breakfast, 100 Brentwood Road;
- Panhandle Potters' Holiday Show: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 7 at Amarillo Art Institute, 3701 Plains Blvd.;
- Santa's Jolly Jamboree: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 7 at Don Harrington Discovery Center, 1200 Streit Drive;
- Christmas in Canyon: 4 to 9 p.m. Dec. 7 in downtown Canyon;
- and Shine Christmas production: 7 p.m. Dec. 7 and 8 at First Family Church, 6101 S. Bell St.
8. Josh Ward
- Texas musicians Aeryk Cox and Cooper Gentry at 7 p.m. Nov. 29 at Bar Z Winery, 19290 Farm-to-Market Road 1541;
- Amarillo party band The Tweeks at 8 p.m. Nov. 29 and a 12-year reunion show for Amarillo rock band Indeavor at 8 p.m. Nov. 30 at Smokey Joe's, 2903 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- Amarillo combo Polk Street Jazz at 9 p.m. Nov. 29, Amarillo duo Neal Nossaman and Keralee Clay at 7 p.m. Nov. 30 and Lubbock combo Luna Jazz at 9 p.m. Dec. 6 at Esquire Jazz Club, 626 S. Polk St.;
- Amarillo-based Americana band Comanche Moon at 10 p.m. Nov. 29 at Hoots Pub, 2424 Hobbs Road;
- Travis T. Warren of Blind Melon at 10 p.m. Nov. 30, Lubbock country act Jordan Robert Kirk at 10 p.m. Dec. 6 and Americana singer Jon Young with Texas Love Company at 10 p.m. Dec. 7 at Golden Light Cantina;
- country band Barn Noize at 9 p.m. Nov. 30 at Broken Spoke Lounge, 3101 S.W. Sixth Ave.
- Amarillo country band Chad Miller & The Good Fortune at 10 p.m. Nov. 30 at Whiskey River, 4001 S.W. 51st Ave.;
- singer-songwriter Kim Matsler at 7 p.m. Dec. 3 at Fire Slice Pizzeria, 7306 S.W. 34th Ave.;
- pianist Andrey Ponochevny for the AC Piano Series at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3 in the AC Concert Hall Theatre on the Washington Street campus;
- blues act Tony Holiday & The Soul Service at 10 p.m Dec. 3, roots band Tail Light Rebellion at 10 p.m. Dec. 4 and rock band The Ahhfugyeahs at 10 p.m. Dec. 7 at Leftwoods, 2511 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- and Amarillo rock band Jonathan Guidi & Touching Voodoo at 10 p.m. Dec. 6 and a reunion show for Amarillo rock band Indeavor at 10 p.m. Dec. 7 at Skooterz, 4100 Bushland Blvd.;
9. Eveline Rivers Benefit Drag Show
10. Messiah sing-in
Professional and amateur singers will join together for this second annual Amarillo Opera event at 11 a.m. Dec. 7 at First Presbyterian Church, 1100 S. Harrison St.