By Chip Chandler — Producer
Here's a quick take on your 10 best entertainment bets in the next 10 days.
1. Barrio Art Show
Amarillo's Barrio Neighborhood Planning Committee will host this exhibition of works exploring the historical sites and people within the Barrio. The show will be on view beginning Jan. 16, culminating in a 5 to 8 p.m. Jan. 18 party at Wesley Community Center, 1615 S. Roberts St. Plus, a bus tour of the Barrio will be held from 6 to 6:45 p.m. Jan. 16, departing from the Wesley Community Center, as well.
3. '80s Party
DJ Frenzy will spin at this totally tubular party at 7 p.m. Jan. 17 at Lit Arcade Bar, 701 S. Polk St. Retro attire is recommended. In other downtown bar news, new club The Hollywood, 715 S. Polk St., will officially open with an 8 p.m. Jan. 25 bash.
4. Amarillo Symphony
Celebrate Beethoven's 250th birthday when the orchestra gives concerts featuring his violin concerto, performed with soloist Simone Porter, at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 17 and 18 in the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Buchanan St.
5. Amarillo Bombers
6. The Gentlemen
When an American pot lord (Matthew McConaughey) in London wants out of the business, the underworld explodes as crooks scheme to take his place in this latest action flick from director Guy Ritchie, opening Jan. 24 (previewing Jan. 23). Also in theaters:
- Opening Jan. 17: action sequel Bad Boys for Life and family adventure Dolittle
- Oscar nominees reopening Jan. 17: racing drama Ford v. Ferrari, World War II satire Jojo Rabbit and historical fantasy Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Opening Jan. 24: horror flick The Turning
- Special engagements: a sing-a-long edition of Frozen II; a TCM Big Screen Classics screening of An American in Paris on Jan. 19 and 22; and Christian documentary Blind Eyes Opened on Jan. 23.
7. A Latte Art Show
8. Our Town
It's déjà vu all over again: WTAMU Opera will stage this Thornton Wilder classic at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 23 and 2:30 p.m. Jan. 25 in the Branding Iron Theater. In the fall, WT's theater department staged the drama, and the opera will mirror it with its own production of the opera by composer Ned Rorem and librettist JD McClatchy, using the theater department's minimalist set, as well.
9. The Big Cheese
The Hope and Healing Place's annual fundraiser will feature 25 varieties of everyone's favorite comfort food, with winners in people's choice, kids' choice and celebrity judge categories. The party will begin at 6 p.m. Jan. 24in the Rex Baxter Building on the Amarillo Tri-State Fairgrounds, 3301 S.E. 10th Ave. If you're still hungry, the Khiva Shriners will host its annual Crab Fest at 6 p.m. Jan. 25 at the shrine, 305 S.E. Fifth Ave.
10. Bart Crow
- rock duo Chawn & Sarah at 9 p.m. Jan. 17 at Rounders Club, 2801 Virginia Circle;
- Amarillo indie rock band Black Box Theatre at 10 p.m. Jan. 17, Amarillo indie bands The Mag Seven and Like Red Giants at 10 p.m. Jan. 18 and Amarillo rock bands Black Caskets and Honey Jugg at 10 p.m. Jan. 24 at Golden Light Cantina, 2906 S.W. Sixth Ave.
- Amarillo country band Seth Ward & The Silence at 10 p.m. Jan. 17 at Hoots Pub, 2424 Hobbs Road
- Amarillo party band Bomb City Groove at 10 p.m. Jan. 17, Amarillo rockers Dedlocked at 10 p.m. Jan. 18 at Whiskey River, 4001 S.W. 51st Ave.;
- a Songwriters in the Round performance featuring James Lee Baker, John Dennis Garvey, Mali Velasquez and Mike Fuller at 7 p.m. Jan. 18 at Chalice Abbey, 2717 Stanley St.;
- Los Huracanes del Norte with Conjunto Nube, Conjunto Pena Blanca and Virlan Garcia at 8 p.m. Jan. 18 at Azteca Music Hall, 500 N. Farm-to-Market Road 1912;
- Amarillo rock band Monarch at 8 p.m. Jan. 18 at Smokey Joe's, 2903 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- Amarillo rock band Moon Dog at 10 p.m. Jan. 18 and Amarillo rock band Dedlocked at 10 p.m. Jan. 25 at Skooterz, 4100 Bushland Blvd.;
- Amarillo rock bands Black Caskets and Native Crowds at 9 p.m. Jan. 18, indie bands Sarchasm and Drowninghost at 9 p.m. Jan. 19 and indie duo Bernie & The Wolf at 8 p.m. Jan. 22 at The 806 Coffee + Lounge, 2812 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- rock band Black Magic Flower Power at 10 p.m. Jan. 18 and jazz-rock duo And Then Came Humans at 10 p.m. Jan. 20 at Leftwoods, 2511 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- metal bands Two-Piece, Mega Chvrch, Horrid Demise and Trench Rat at 8 p.m. Jan. 21 at T's Bar, 700 S.W. 10th Ave.;
- and rock duo Chawn & Sarah at 7 p.m. Jan. 24 at Wild Bill's Fillin' Station, 3811 S.W. Sixth Ave.