By Chip Chandler — Producer
Here's a quick take on your 10 best entertainment bets in the next 10 days.
1. Biennial 600: Textile + Fiber
Amarillo Museum of Art's eighth juried exhibition — which focus on artwork crafted from, obviously, textiles and fiber — is only open a few more days, so catch it while you can at the museum, 2200 S. Van Buren St. The exhibition includes large-scale installations, works utilizing quilting and embroidery techniques, and more.
2. The Two Popes
Here's a rare treat: This film, which imagines a meeting between Pope Francis (Jonathan Pryce) and Pope Benedict (Anthony Hopkins), is a Netflix film that'll debut Dec. 20 on the streaming service, but as an awards hopeful (including four Golden Globe nominations this week), it's playing in select theaters — including Premiere Cinemas Westgate Mall 6, 7701 W. Interstate 40, beginning Friday. Other films of note:
- Dec. 13: slasher remake Black Christmas, action sequel Jumanji: The Next Level and real-life drama Richard Jewell;
- Dec. 20: satirical comedy Bombshell, feline musical Cats and trilogy-ending Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker;
- Special engagements: a Studio Ghibli Fest 2019 screening of anime drama The Tale of the Princess Kaguya on Dec. 16 and 18, and an encore screening of Peter Jackson's World War I documentary They Shall Not Grow Old on Dec. 17 and 18.
3. Amarillo Bulls
4. The Nutcracker
Chloe Freytag and Fabian Morales Garcia of Dimensions Dance Theatre of Miami are this year's Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier for Lone Star Ballet's eternal holiday tradition. Performances are set for Dec. 13 to 15 in the Amarillo Civic Center Complex Auditorium, 401 S. Buchanan St.
5. Frightmare Before Christmas
- Brunch with Santa: 8:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 22 at Starlight Canyon Bed and Breakfast, 100 Brentwood Road;
- Tuba Christmas: 3 p.m. Dec. 14 at Westgate Mall, 7701 W. Interstate 40;
- A Big Band Christmas: featuring the South Plains Dance Orchestra at 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at Mulkey Theatre, 110 S. Kearney St. in Clarendon;
- Christmas in the Hood: 5 p.m. Dec. 15 in the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Buchanan St.;
- Discover for a Dollar: 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 20 at Don Harrington Discovery Center, 1200 Streit Drive;
- The Living Cowboy Nativity: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 20 and 21 at Palo Duro Cowboy Church, 12200 W. Highway 60;
- Northside Toy Drive's seventh-annual Black Tie Affair: 7 p.m. Dec. 20 in the Amarillo Civic Center Complex Heritage Ballroom, 401 S. Buchanan St. (free admission with wrapped toy).
6. FC Amarillo Bombers
7. The Flying J Wranglers
The cowboy musicians from Ruidoso, N.M., will return for their annual holiday show at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 17 on the Amarillo Little Theatre Mainstage, 2019 Civic Circle.
8. Rodney Branigan
- rock band Holy Roller Baby with Rival Magnetics at 10 p.m. Dec. 12 and The Bastard Sons of David Hasselhoff and Piles of Potential at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 at Leftwoods, 2511 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- Lubbock combo Alma Quartet at 9 p.m. Dec. 13, house combo Esquire Jazz Band at 9 p.m. Dec. 14, Amarillo band Soulicious at 9 p.m. Dec. 20 and Lubbock combo The Wallace Townsend Quintet at 9 p.m. Dec. 21 at Esquire Jazz Club;
- Texas country star Cory Morrow at 10 p.m. Dec. 13 at Hoots Pub;
- Amarillo rock band Hangman at 10 p.m. Dec. 13, Amarillo rock band Loaded Six and an Ugly Christmas Sweater Party at 10 p.m. Dec. 14 and Pampa rock band A Special Case at 10 p.m. Dec. 20 at Skooterz, 4100 Bushland Blvd.;
- Amarillo country-rock band Strange Saints at 9 p.m. Dec. 14 at Broken Spoke Lounge, 3101 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- Amarillo singer-songwriter Maggie Burt with indie band Vamping at 10 p.m. Dec. 14 and the 10th annual Willgood's Christmas Spectacular featuring Amarillo-born Americana band Comanche Moon, singer-songwriter Eddie Esler and more at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 at Golden Light Cantina, 2906 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- country band Caliche Dust Bowl at 7 p.m. Dec. 17 at Fire Slice Pizzeria, 7306 S.W. 34th Ave.;
- Amarillo musicians Amy Hart & Friends at 6 p.m. Dec. 19 at La Bella Pizza, 3801 Olsen Blvd., Unit 9;
- Amarillo country-rock act Chino & The Strange Whiskey Band at 9 p.m. Dec. 21 at Western Horseman, 2051 E. Interstate 40;
- and a reunion concert for Texas country act The Tommy Gallagher Band at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 at Whiskey River, 4001 S.W. 51st Ave.
9. Christmas in the Gardens
Only a few more days to see more than 300,000 lights at the Amarillo Botanical Gardens, 1400 Streit Drive. Other holiday lights events will include:
- Tangled Lights holiday display: 7 p.m. to midnight daily through Jan. 6 at 11816 Flying W Trail;
- The Lights at Town Square: 5 to 9 p.m. daily through Jan. 31 at Town Square Village, 9181 Town Square Blvd.;
- Holiday Happenings Christmas Light Tours: 6 and 8 p.m. nightly through Jan. 1
- and Bishop Hills lights: 6:30 to midnight nightly through Dec. 25. (806-418-4192).
10. Happy Holiday Pops
The Amarillo Symphony's annual Christmas concert returns with shows at 2 and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 21 in the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Buchanan St.