Population growth along the southern rim of Amarillo has Canyon Independent School District bursting at the seams, district officials say.
During the past seven years, the district has added 1,200 students. By 2025, there are expected to be about 2,000 more.
To accommodate current numbers and plan for the future, the district will need:
- a new high school;
- two new elementary schools;
- to convert part of a Randall High School into a junior high;
- to expand Randall High School;
- to expand the CISD Manufacturing Academy
- to renovate Sundown Lane Elementary, Canyon Intermediate School, Canyon Junior High, and the Midway Career and Technical Education Center;
- to renovate Kimbrough Stadium and Canyon High School's baseball and softball facilities;
- to upgrade technology.
Canyon ISD is asking voters for permission to borrow $196.7 million to make those changes.