The 10: The 10 things you can't miss between Dec. 19 and 28 (plus New Year's Eve)
Last Updated by
By Chip Chandler — Producer
Here's a quick take on your 10 best entertainment bets in the next 10-plus days.
NOTE: This will be the final installment of The 10 for 2019. Check No. 10 for a bonus list of New Year's Eve activities.
1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
The much-anticipated, trilogy-ending extravaganza opens Dec. 20, with (largely sold-out) previews Dec. 19. Other scheduled movie openings include
- Dec. 20: satirical comedy Bombshell and feline musical Cats;
- Dec. 25 (some previewing Dec. 24): revamped literary drama Little Women; animated comedy Spies in Disguise; and thriller comedy Uncut Gems;
- Special engagements: a screening of holiday classic It's a Wonderful Life on Dec. 24.
2. Living Cowboy Nativity
3. Black Tie Affair
Dallas group The Inspiration Band will perform and attendees will enjoy dancing, hors d'oeuvres, cocktails and casino games at this annual event benefitting Northside Toy Drive, which provides presents for children in North Amarillo. The party will begin at 7 p.m. Dec. 20 in the Amarillo Civic Center Complex Heritage Ballroom, 401 S. Buchanan St. Admission is an unwrapped toy, but reserved table seating is available.
4. Space Theater Holiday Show
The Don Harrington Discovery Center, 1200 Streit Drive, will celebrate the season with a special Space Theater show featuring laser lights choreographed to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. Show times are 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Dec. 21 and 23, and 3 p.m. Dec. 22. Also at the Discovery Center: Discover for a Dollar from 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 20.
5. Happy Holiday Pops
6. FC Amarillo Bombers
The championship-winning soccer team continues its new season with international showcase games against the Savage from Chihuahua, Mexico, at 6 p.m. Dec. 21 and 4 p.m. Dec. 22, then a 4 p.m. Dec. 29 game against the Colorado Inferno at Caviness Sportsplex, 525 S. Kingwood St. in Hereford.
7. Willgood's 10th Annual Christmas Spectacular
Concert promoter and Amarillo native Will Krause's annual holiday show will feature Americana band Comanche Moon, singer-songwriter Eddie Esler, musicians Michael Blackwell and Jake Vernon, DJ Rupert the Duke and more. Festivities will begin at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 at Golden Light Cantina, 2906 S.W. Sixth Ave.
8. The Tommy Gallagher Band
- Amarillo musicians Amy Hart & Friends at 6 p.m. Dec. 19 at La Bella Pizza, 3801 Olsen Blvd., Unit 9;
- Amarillo country band Next to Kin at 8 p.m. Dec. 20 at Back 40 Grill, 1512 Fifth Ave., Suite 101 in Canyon;
- Pampa rock band A Special Case at 10 p.m. Dec. 20 and Amarillo rock band Dedlocked at 10 p.m. Dec. 28 at Skooterz, 4100 Bushland Blvd.;
- Amarillo band Soulicious at 9 p.m. Dec. 20, harpist Jenny Miller at 7 p.m. Dec. 21, Lubbock combo The Wallace Townsend Quintet at 9 p.m. Dec. 21, the Esquire Jazz Huge Band at 9 p.m. Dec. 27, Amarillo musician Keitha Jones at 7 p.m. Dec. 28 and Amarillo combo Polk Street Jazz at 9 p.m. Dec. 28 at Esquire Jazz Club;
- Amarillo country-rock act Chino & The Strange Whiskey Band at 9 p.m. Dec. 21 at Western Horseman, 2051 E. Interstate 40;
- The Bastard Sons of David Hasselhoff and Piles of Potential at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 and Loudmouth Lisa's Tribute to Lemmy at 10 p.m. Dec. 28 at Leftwoods, 2511 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- Amarillo rocker Michael D. Coon at 10 p.m. Dec. 21 at Zombiez Bar & Grill, 711 S.W. 10th Ave.;
- Texas country act The Cody Sparks Band at 10 p.m. Dec. 27 at Hoots Pub, 2424 Hobbs Road;
- Lubbock country band Your Brothers Uncle at 9 p.m. Dec. 28 at Broken Spoke Lounge, 3101 S.W. Sixth Ave.;
- and Amarillo country act The Buster Bledsoe Band at 9:30 p.m. Dec. 28 at Rounders Club, 2801 Virginia Circle;
9. Holiday Comedy Show & Concert
Comedian C.R. Parsons and Red Dirt singer Kevin Price will give a joint pre-Christmas show at 7 p.m. Dec. 22 at Fire Slice Pizzeria, 7306 S.W. 34th Ave. Comedy fans should also look for a Yellow City Comedy show starring Bradley Galli and Katie Bowman at 9 p.m. Dec. 23 at Leftwoods, 2511 S.W. Sixth Ave., and Steve Hofstetter at 8 p.m. Dec. 28 at Zombiez Bar & Grill, 711 S.W. 10th Ave.
10. New Year's Eve
Ring in 2020 at any number of parties around the area, including:
- Amarillo Bulls: Amarillo's hockey team will continue its season with a game against the New Mexico Ice Wolves in its traditional New Year's Eve face-off at 7:05 p.m. Dec. 31 in the Amarillo Civic Center Complex Coliseum, 401 S. Buchanan St.
- Amarillo VFW Post 1475: Amarillo country act The Buster Bledsoe Band will perform beginning at 7 p.m. Dec. 31 at the post, 1501 S.W. Eighth Ave. Tickets $35 single, $60 couples.
- Bar Z Winery: Amarillo folk singer-songwriter Yvonne Perea will perform with Gary Thomason at 9:30 p.m. Dec. 31 at the winery, 19290 Farm-to-Market Road 1541. Cover $15.
- Bosco's: Enjoy drink specials, champagne toast and karaoke at 8 p.m. Dec. 31 at the bar, 2307 S.W. Sixth Ave. No cover.
- Crush: The wine bar, 627 S. Polk St., will ring in the new year with a four-course menu with seatings between 5:45 and 9 p.m. Dec. 31. Cost $100; reservations required.
- Don Harrington Discovery Center: Get an early start on 2020 at Noon Year's Eve, featuring science demonstrations, crafts, karaoke, ginger ale and cookies and balloon drops at noon. The party runs from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 31 at the center, 1200 Streit Drive. Admission $3 for members or $3 plus regular admission for nonmembers.
- The Drunken Oyster: Celebrate the arrival of 2020 with a three-course dinner and live music by Ruth Ellen Lynch beginning at 6 p.m. Dec. 31 at the restaurant, 7606 S.W. 45th Ave. Tickets $80 or $160 for couples.
- Esquire Jazz Club: The house band and bluesman Dana Hubbard will perform for a Roaring '20s holiday party at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 31 at the club, 626 S. Polk St. Tickets $25 and up.
- Guitars & Cadillacs: Deck yourselves out for a Roaring '20s party at 7 p.m. Dec. 31 at the dance club, 3601 Olsen Blvd. Tickets $15.
- Hoots Pub: Rockers The Electric Gypsies will perform at 10 p.m. Dec. 31 at the dance club, 2424 Hobbs Road.
- Khiva Shrine: The Khivans and guests will ring in 2020 at 8 p.m. Dec. 31 with drinks, hors d'oeuvres, music from The Solano Project, open bar, champagne and breakfast at 11 p.m. Admission $30 members, $40 nonmembers.
- Metropolitan — A Speakeasy: Amarillo rock band Velvet Funk will perform for the year-end dinner at 5:30 and 8 p.m. Dec. 31 at the club, 9181 Town Square Blvd. Reservations required.
- Pondaseta Brewing Co.: The brewery, 7500 S.W. 45th Ave., will host its first NYE party at 7 p.m. Dec. 31. Tickets $15.
- Skooterz: Amarillo rock bands Mr. Scary and Powerslave will perform at 9 p.m. Dec. 31 at the bar, 4100 Bushland Blvd. Cover $10.
- Smokey Joe's: Amarillo rock band Moon Dog will perform at 8 p.m. Dec. 31 at the bar/restaurant, 2903 S.W. Sixth Ave.
- Stumblin' Goat Saloon: Canyon country band Mitchell Ford & The Volunteers will perform at 10 p.m. Dec. 31 in the Canadian nightclub, 271 S. Second St. in Canadian. Cover charge.
- Tascosa Golf Club: Country-rock act The Chino Show will perform for this masquerade ball at 9 p.m. Dec. 31 at the club, 4502 Fairway Drive. Tickets $45.
- The Venue: The downtown spot, 617 N. Buchanan St., will host a party at 8 p.m. Dec. 31.
- Whiskey River: The nightclub, 4001 S.W. 51st Ave., will host a party at 9 p.m. Dec. 31 featuring karaoke, pool, darts, party favors and a champagne toast. No cover.