Play Here's Activity Roundup for Jan. 4 to 11, including 'Penguins,' AMoA Open, Concerto Extraordinaire, Kristin Key, more
Last Updated by
By Chip Chandler — Digital Content Producer
Roll into 2018 in the right way with this roundup of activities and events heading your way through Jan. 11!
First Thursday Art + Music: Artist Raene Mathes will display works, beginning with a 7 p.m. opening reception, followed by live music by Stewart Cowan at 9 p.m. (7 p.m. Thursday, The 806 Coffee + Lounge, 2812 S.W. Sixth Ave. No cover. 806-322-1806)
Coffee & Cuties: Children 5 and younger can enjoy stories, crafts and more with their parents and grandparents. (9:45, 10:45 and 11:45 a.m. Friday, Don Harrington Discovery Center. Admission $11 adults, $8 children, students, military and seniors. 806-355-9547)
Toddler Tracks: Kids in pre-kindergarten or younger can read a book, do a craft and take a nature walk in this event at Wildcat Bluff Nature Center. (10 a.m. Friday, Wildcat Bluff Nature Center, 2301 N. Soncy Road. Free for members; free with admission of $4 for adults and $3 for children and seniors; reservations requested. 806-352-6007)
First Friday Art Walk: The monthly stroll through The Galleries at Sunset Center will feature new works by several of the gallery owners. Among the special events is City Studios' one-year anniversary party, featuring a black-light art experience. (5 to 9 p.m. Friday, The Galleries at Sunset Center, 3701 Plains Blvd. Free. 806-352-2706)
Mr. Popper's Penguins: The kids at Amarillo Little Theatre Academy will stage this stage adaptation of the 1938 book by Richard and Florence Atwater about a man who unexpectedly gets a male penguin, then a female, delivered to him; it was adapted into a 2011 movie starring Jim Carrey. This performance is sold out, but a stand-by list will be made at the theater beginning 45 minutes before curtain. Check my preview story for more. (7:30 p.m. Friday; continues through Sunday. Amarillo Little Theatre Adventure Space, 2751 Civic Circle. $12 ages 12 and older, $10 ages 11 and younger. 806-355-9991)
Canyon Driving Tour: Take a guided tour through Palo Duro Canyon State Park and learn about its flora, fauna, geology and history. Limited to first 14 people; a waiting list will be used, and passengers must be old enough to ride in van without a car or booster seat. Meet at the gatehouse. (10 a.m. Saturday, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, 12 miles east of Canyon on Texas Highway 217. Free with park admission of $5. 806-488-2227)
Women's Book Club: Join the club's reading challenge. (10 a.m. Saturday, Amarillo Public Library Northwest Branch, 6100 W. Ninth Ave. Free. 806-359-2035)
Family Art: Create prismatic works while painting by sticker. (1 p.m. Saturday, Amarillo Public Library Northwest Branch, 6100 W. Ninth Ave. Free. 806-359-2035)
Mr. Popper's Penguins: The kids at Amarillo Little Theatre Academy will stage this stage adaptation of the 1938 book by Richard and Florence Atwater about a man who unexpectedly gets a male penguin, then a female, delivered to him; it was adapted into a 2011 movie starring Jim Carrey. These performances are sold out, but a stand-by list will be made at the theater beginning 45 minutes before curtain. Check my preview story for more. (2:30 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday; continues through Sunday. Amarillo Little Theatre Adventure Space, 2751 Civic Circle. $12 ages 12 and older, $10 ages 11 and younger. 806-355-9991)
AMoA Open: Artists both amateur and professional can hang their own works salon-style (one per artist) in this annual exhibition, which closes Jan. 14. Art may be hung from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Check my preview for more details. (7 p.m. Saturday opening reception; hangs through Jan. 14. Amarillo Museum of Art, 2200 S. Van Buren St. Free. 806-371-5050)
Concerto Extraordinaire: The annual Chamber Music Amarillo extravaganza will feature soprano Suzanne Ramo, conductor Michael Palmer and the Amarillo Virtuosi performing works by Igor Stravinsky and Gustav Mahler. See my preview for more information. (8 p.m. Saturday, Amarillo Botanical Gardens, 1400 Streit Drive. $35. 806-236-3545)
The Bridal Show of Amarillo: Vendors and merchants will be on hand to help brides plan a wedding in one day. (noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Amarillo Civic Center Complex North Exhibit Hall, 401 S. Buchanan St. Admission $7 advance, $10 at door. 806-410-3087)
Mr. Popper's Penguins: The kids at Amarillo Little Theatre Academy will stage this stage adaptation of the 1938 book by Richard and Florence Atwater about a man who unexpectedly gets a male penguin, then a female, delivered to him; it was adapted into a 2011 movie starring Jim Carrey. The first of these performances is sold out, but a stand-by list will be made at the theater beginning 45 minutes before curtain. Check my preview story for more. (2:30 and 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Amarillo Little Theatre Adventure Space, 2751 Civic Circle. $12 ages 12 and older, $10 ages 11 and younger. 806-355-9991)
Origami in a Box: Children ages 12 and older can learn how to fold recycled and decorative paper into boxes for keepsakes or gifts. (7 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Amarillo Public Library East Branch, 2232 E. 27th Ave. Free. 806-342-1589)
Indie Lens Pop-Up Screening: Watch the Academy Award-nominated documentary I Am Not Your Negro, based on an unfinished work by author James Baldwin, before its broadcast debut in this event sponsored by Panhandle PBS, the Amarillo branch of the NAACP and the Amarillo Public Library. A panel discussion follows with James Allen, Alphonso Vaughn, Elisha Demerson and David Lovejoy, led by moderator Claudia Stuart. (6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Amarillo Public Library downtown branch, 413 S.E. Fourth Ave. Free. 806-371-5479)
Dinosaur Club: Kids ages 6 to 10 can enjoy dinosaur stories and crafts. (4 to 5 p.m. Jan. 11, Amarillo Public Library North Branch, 1500 N.E. 24th Ave. Free. 806-381-7931)
- Amarillo Botanical Gardens: The gardens, 1400 Streit Drive, are open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 1 to 5 p.m. Saturdays. Admission is $5 adults, $4 seniors, $2 children through eighth grade. Call 806-352-6513.
- Amarillo Escape and Mystery: Attempt to escape a variety of themed locked rooms in 60 minutes at this attraction, 12208 Canyon Drive. It's open daily by reservation; games must be booked two hours in advance. Cost is $20, plus tax. Call 806-414-2382.
- Amarillo Museum of Art: The museum, 2200 S. Van Buren St., is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 1 to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is free. Call 806-371-5050.
- Amarillo Public Library: Look for daily events for children (and book clubs for adults) throughout the winter at all branches. Call 806-378-3051.
- Amarillo Railroad Museum: The museum, 3160 I Ave., is open 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. Call 806-335-3333.
- Amarillo Suite Escape: Visitors can attempt to escape from three rooms with rotating themes at this attraction, 715 S. Lamar St. Hours are noon to 11 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays. Cost is $20, plus tax. Call 806-640-3831.
- Amarillo Zoo: The zoo, 700 Comanchero Trail, is open 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Admission is $4 adults, $3 seniors and $2 children ages 3-12, and free on Monday. Call 806-381-7911.
- American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum: The facility, 2601 E. Interstate 40, is featuring its Youth Art Show through Jan. 6. It's open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays (closed holidays). Admission is $7 adults, $5 seniors, $4 veterans, $3 children ages 6 to 18 and free for active-duty military and children 5 and younger. Call 806-376-4811.
- Bill’s Backyard Classics: The classic car and truck museum, 5309 S. Washington St., is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Admission is $10 for ages 13 and older. Call 806-373-8194.
- Cerulean Gallery: The gallery, 814 S. Taylor St., features Take It All In through Dec. 21. It's open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and by appointment Saturdays. Call 806-576-0063.
- Don Harrington Discovery Center: The center, 1200 Streit Drive, is featuring Travel Adventures through Jan. 9. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and noon to 4:30 p.m. Sundays in the summer. Admission is $11 adults, $8 children and students (to age 22), military and seniors. Call 806-355-9547.
- Extreme Laser Tag: Take aim at this indoor attraction, 2503 S.W. 45th Ave. Hours are 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, 6 to 10 p.m. Fridays, 2 to 10 p.m. Saturdays and 2 to 7 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $13. Call 806-367-8954.
- The Galleries at Sunset Center: The galleries, 3701 Plains Blvd., are generally open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Admission is free. Call 806-353-5700.
- Harrington House: The historic home, 1600 S. Polk St., features free holiday tours through Dec. 19 conducted on the half hour from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 806-374-5490.
- Lake Meredith National Recreation Area: The park, located 50 miles northeast of Amarillo near Fritch, is open 24 hours a day. The area also includes Area includes Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument. Admission is free. Call 806-857-3151.
- Palo Duro Adventure Park and Zip Line: This attraction, located near the entrance of Palo Duro Canyon State Park, is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays through Sundays after Labor Day, weather permitting. Call 806-488-2260.
- Palo Duro Canyon State Park: The canyon, 12 miles east of Canyon on Texas Highway 217, is open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission $5. Call 806-488-2227.
- Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum: The museum, 2503 Fourth Ave. in Canyon, is featuring The Great War and the Panhandle-Plains Region and A Picture from Home: Snapshots of the Great War on the Plains through Dec. 30. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays to Saturdays and 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays through August. Admission is $10 adults, $9 seniors, $5 children and free for members and children younger than 4. Call 806-651-2244.
- River Breaks Ranch: This attraction, 7802 Durrett Drive, offers sporting clays, team roping, horse racing and more. Call 806-374-0357.
- Southern Light Gallery: The art gallery, located on the first floor of Ware Student Commons on Amarillo College's Washington Street campus, is open 7:30 a.m. to 8:50 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 7:30 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. Fridays and 2 to 5:50 p.m. Sundays. Call 806-345-5654.
- Texas Air & Space Museum: The museum, 10001 American Drive, is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays. Admission is free; donations accepted. Call 806-335-9159.
- Wildcat Bluff Nature Center: The center, 2301 N. Soncy Road, is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Admission $4 adults, $3 seniors and children. Call 806-352-6007.
- Xcape Room Warehouse: The newest escape room attraction, 714 S.E. 10th Ave., is open from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, 6 to 11:30 p.m. Fridays, 12:30 to 11:30 p.m. Saturdays and 2 to 7:30 p.m. Sundays. Admission $25. Call 806-353-6353.